Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Emotion

This week's assignment was all about emotion. I had scheduled meetings with a driving range and a couple that owns a chiropractic clinic, but that fell through. Fortunately, my girlfriend told me about her hula practices and there I met Joesph Cordell and spoke with my girlfriend's good friend Lindsay Wong.
 
Western students Joseph Cordell (right), 21, and Alan Leung (center), 19, concentrate and focus on Lindsay Wong’s proper hula form and movements. Wong, 19, is originally from Kauai, Hawaii and teaches hula to the members of Western’s Hui ‘o Hawai’i club. “I have been doing hula for 13 years and I love it,” Wong said. “Hula represents a dying race and it is important that when you’re learning hula that everything is done properly and respectfully of the culture.” Cordell said he was first brought to a hula practice after being volunteered by a friend. He said he is having a good time learning hula, especially after finding out the song they are dancing to, “Ipo Lei Momi,” is a song about making love.

I chose this photo for my assignment because the emotion is not obvious. I really enjoy the concentration they are putting in and the focus they have. It takes a serious and respectful feeling and emotion to learn the dance that is hula. 

No comments:

Post a Comment